President's Message - 2017
Thank you for your support of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (CAS) during 2016; we are proud of our accomplishments and could not have done it without you! Your membership is tangible evidence of commitment to a strong and effective national professional organization devoted to research, education, advocacy and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and to safe and excellent care of patients.
CAS looks forward to your continued membership support for 2017 and onward, to ensure that together we can achieve our shared vision of excellence in anesthesiology. Our strength and success depends on your involvement.
We are pleased that members are utilizing the many benefits, services and programs available to you as a CAS member, including:
- Access to valuable resources such as the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia (CJA) containing current and important Reports of Original Investigations, Case Reports, Review Articles, Special Articles, Correspondence and Editorial commentary by national and international contributors.
- Complimentary use of the CJA Mobile App platform, and e-mail alerts announcing CJA contents.
- CAS Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia updated annually.
- Significant member registration discounts to the CAS Annual Meeting, the largest anesthesiology meeting in the country.
- Ability to earn Section 1 Maintenance of Certification credits, as well as Section 3 credits in hands-on workshops at the Annual Meeting.
Pre-conference workshop at the Annual Meeting
- Participation in convivial social events and access to excellent networking opportunities at the Annual Meeting.
- Exclusive, free, member-only access to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) online modules, a popular source of Section 3 Maintenance of Certification credits, 12 credits per module.
- Ability to participate in, or provide input to, CAS Sections and Committees. Bring issues to the attention of the CAS Board of Directors through your Divisional (Provincial) representative. Your opinions are valued and appreciated.
- Eligibility for appointment to national or international (notably World Federation of Societies of Anesthesiology) committees focused on various aspects of anesthesiology or medicine in general. CAS is recognized as the national voice of our specialty, and external organizations seek our recommendations re: committee representation. This can afford our members opportunities to magnify the impact of their specific interests and expertise.
I am also pleased to announce that in 2016, a multifaceted CAS initiative to improve educational quality at our Annual Meeting was recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada with the 2016 Royal College Accredited CPD Provider Innovation Award for “Improving Education Delivery and Optimizing Credit: the Framework for CBD (Competence by Design) for CPD”.
Residents at the 2016 Annual Meeting
And next year, in Niagara Falls, Ontario, the Annual Meeting will acknowledge 2017 as an anniversary year of two historic events – the 150th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, and the 75th anniversary of the first successful use of curare in surgery by Dr. Harold Griffith of Montréal.
Don’t miss out on the activities surrounding these significant milestones, and note that attendees who will participate include four international presidents representing the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, the Australian Society of Anaesthetists and the New Zealand Society of Anaesthetists. As well, due to geographic proximity, we anticipate a significant number of attendees from the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists.
The theme of the 2017 conference is Competence by Design - The Future of Education and Assessment in Anesthesiology – From Residency to Retirement. Planning for this meeting is well underway, and several very distinguished Canadian and international speakers have already committed. Problem-Based Learning Discussions (PBLD) will be introduced, and a variety of pre-meeting workshops are being finalized.
Renew your CAS membership and take advantage of your significant member discount on Annual Meeting registration. Consider adding a family vacation in the beautiful Niagara Falls region while you are in the area.
CAS recognizes that we have much work ahead of us, and we are counting on your involvement. I encourage you to renew your membership today. All ideas, questions and feedback are welcome. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or the CAS office at email@example.com.
Dr Douglas DuVal, FRCPC
PS: When renewing, please consider donating generously to our foundations – the Canadian Anesthesia Research Foundation (CARF) and the CAS International Education Foundation (CASIEF). Both organizations do remarkable and important work on behalf of CAS, and contribute immeasurably to safe anesthetic care of patients, and to the future of our specialty.