President's Message - 2020
Thank you for your support of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (CAS) during 2019—we are proud of our accomplishments this year and could not have been so successful without you! Your membership is tangible evidence of your “professional citizenship” and your commitment to a strong and effective national professional organization devoted to research, education, advocacy and Continuing Professional Development (CPD), in the interests of safe and excellent care of patients.
2019 was an exciting year for CAS. We introduced our brand new, informative and interactive website, with a revitalized framework allowing for a flexible, powerful, and intuitive content management system and workflows for content creation, editing, and approvals. We welcomed two new committees – Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Physician Wellness. Both are tackling two major issues facing us as physicians; fairness in the workplace and combatting burnout. We also established a CAIRS committee, led by Dr Kathryn Sparrow, which will continue to expand its mandate to accurately assist anesthesiologists to report, evaluate and receive information regarding anesthetic incidents. We welcomed a new CAS section, the Hospital Chiefs of Anesthesia, which will represent the interests of hospital chiefs across the country.
After such a wonderful 2019, CAS looks forward to your continued membership in 2020. We are pleased to offer you both new and enhanced
CAS benefits, services and programs including:
- New CAS user-friendly, informative and interactive website, with access to forums and section specific content and resources;
- New online member-education opportunities, including courses, webinars and events offered by CAS at a discounted member fee;
- Access to valuable, professional resources such as the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia (CJA), and use of their Mobile App for email alerts;
- Annually updated CAS Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia;
- Significant Annual Meeting (AM) registration discounts - did you know that paying a non-member AM fee costs more money than a CAS membership plus an AM member rate? Wow!
- Ability to earn Section 1 and Section 3 Maintenance of Certification credits at the Annual Meeting and through free online CPD Educational Modules (12 credits per module)
- Opportunity to renew friendships through social events and networking opportunities at the Annual Meeting;
- Opportunity to participate in mentorship programs, including resident/anesthesiologist meet and greets
- Ability to participate in, or provide input to, CAS sections and committees, including the newly formed Diversity Equity and Inclusiveness, Physician Wellness and Hospital Chiefs of Anesthesia. Bring issues to the attention of the CAS Board of Directors through your Divisional (Provincial) representative—your opinions are valued and appreciated.
- Eligibility for appointment to national or international (notably World Federation of Societies of Anesthesiology) committees focused on aspects of anesthesiology or medicine in general. CAS is recognized as the national voice of our profession, and external organizations seek our input and recommendations re: committee representation. This allows members to magnify the impact of their specific interests and expertise.
The 2020 Annual Meeting will take place in Halifax, NS at the Halifax Convention Centre June 19-22 and the superb educational programming is being developed with expert national and international speakers and instructors. Some preliminary highlights include sessions on perioperative stroke, physician mental health and ethics of self regulation, academic anesthesia and pain medicine and new frontiers in cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesia. We will continue to host our popular social and networking events, supported by CARF, CASIEF, Residents, sections, exhibitors and partners. Consider adding a family vacation in scenic Halifax and discover iconic lighthouses, urban gardens, stunning galleries and museums, a waterfront science centre, and many more world-class attractions.
CAS recognizes that we have much work ahead of us, and we are counting on your involvement. I encourage you to renew your membership today. All ideas, questions and feedback are welcome. Contact me at email@example.com
or the CAS office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Daniel Bainbridge, MD, FRCPC
PS: When renewing, please consider donating generously to our foundations – the Canadian Anesthesia Research Foundation (CARF) and the CAS International Education Foundation (CASIEF). Both organizations do remarkable and important work on behalf of CAS, and contribute immeasurably to safe anesthetic care of patients, and to the future of our specialty.