The CAS is pleased to support the Medical Student Prize. This essay competition seeks to increase awareness among undergraduate medical students of the specialty of anesthesia and the role of anesthesiologists in modern healthcare. A first, second and third prize will be awarded.
- The applicant must be a full-time medical student in any Canadian medical school.
- Anesthesia undergraduate education directors at each university oversee the essay submission process.
- Papers can be written in French or in English.
- Electronic submissions of 1000 to 1500 words will be accepted in Microsoft Word format only (not PDF) and must focus on one of the topics below.
- Submit in electronic format to your local Canadian University Anesthesiology Coordinator, via email, and include your name, university and email address.
- Deadline for submission is Friday February 11, 2022.
- The Anesthesiologists’ role in the modern medical school curriculum.
- Anesthesiologists as leaders in patient safety.
- Anesthesia and humanistic medicine.
- The contribution of Anesthesiology to research in medicine.
- The use of the anesthesia simulator for Anesthesiology teaching: Future uses
- The Anesthesiologist as the perioperative physician.
- A topic related to the history of Canadian Anesthesiology.
- Professionalism in medicine.
- Anesthesiology’s contribution to Pain Management.
- Other topics that are suitable, to be cleared by your local Undergraduate Education Supervisor:
- After an initial review process at each university, a maximum of three essays may be forwarded to a national review committee.
- The national review committee will judge the submissions.
- 1st Prize: $1,000, complimentary registration to the 2022 CAS Annual Meeting, and essay to be published in ANESTHESIA NEWS, the newsletter of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society
- 2nd Prize: $500
- 3rd Prize: $250
All Three Prize Winners will receive complimentary 2022 CAS Membership and will be acknowledged via CAS marketing channels.
Deadline for submission: Friday February 11, 2022
For further information
Please contact the anesthesia department in your university for local submission information.
CAS will announce a final decision by April 2022.