The CAS is pleased to support the Medical Student Prize. This essay competition seeks to increase awareness among undergraduate medical students of the specialty of anesthesia and the role of anesthesiologists in modern healthcare. A first, second and third prize will be awarded at the CAS Annual Meeting.
- The applicant must be a full-time medical student in any Canadian medical school.
- Anesthesia undergraduate education directors at each university oversee the essay submission process.
- CAS supports the promotion and selection process and invites the top-three winners to the CAS Annual Meeting.
- Papers can be written in French or in English.
- Electronic submissions of 1000 to 1500 words will be accepted in Microsoft Word format only (not PDF) and must focus on one of the topics below.
- Submit in electronic format to your local Canadian University Anesthesiology Coordinator, via email, and include your name, university and email address.
- The Anesthesiologists’ role in the modern medical school curriculum.
- Anesthesiologists’ as leaders in patient safety.
- Criteria for admission to medical school.
- The contribution of Anesthesiology to research in medicine.
- The use of the anesthesia simulator for Anesthesiology teaching: Future uses
- The Anesthesiologist as the perioperative physician.
- A topic related to the history of Canadian Anesthesiology.
- Professionalism in medicine.
- Anesthesiology’s contribution to Pain Management.
- Other topics that are suitable, to be cleared by your local Undergraduate Education Supervisor
- After an initial review process at each university, a maximum of three essays may be forwarded to a national review committee.
- The national review committee will judge the submissions.
- 1st Prize: $1,000 and an invitation to the 2019 CAS Annual Meeting in Calgary, where your prize will be presented (plus up to $1,000 travel stipend provided). First Prize essay will also be published in Anesthesia News, the CAS quarterly newsletter.
- 2nd Prize: $500
- 3rd Prize: $250
All Three Prize Winners will receive complimentary CAS 2019 Membership
Deadline for submission: Friday February 19, 2019
For further information
Please contact the anesthesia department in your university for local submission information.
CAS will announce a final decision by April 2019.